Technical Museum of Slovenia

The Technical Museum of Slovenia is located at Bistra near Vrhnika, on the southwestern margins of the broad and flat Ljubljana Basin, some 22 km from the nation’s capital. It is housed in what was originally a monastery but later became a grand mansion. Both settlement and manor take their name from the clear karstic springs, which issue forth from under the adjacent wooded hillside.

Rebuilt and refashioned on several occasions, Bistra has enjoyed a variety of cultural, political, economic and social roles over the centuries. From 1260 to the dissolution of 1782, it was a Carthusian monastery; following renovation in 1826 Bistra served as manor house, and since 1951 it has been the home to the nation’s Technical Museum.